We are reminding students and families that on Thursdays school will start later, with classes commencing at 10.00am rather than the usual 8.45am as on other days.
We expect most students will simply arrive later on Thursday morning – many arriving sometime after 9.30am – but other students who rely on bus transport are likely to continue arriving earlier. At present a number of students arrive on school buses at around 8.00am or thereabouts.
This later start is now a wide-spread practice across secondary schools in across New Zealand, reflecting the increasing pressure on schools to meet the demands of 21st century learning and learners. The time will be used to provide additional professional development for teachers, focused on strengthening their provision of high-quality, effective teaching informed by current educational theory. All teachers must attend these sessions.
On Thursday morning, for students who have to arrive at school early, the following arrangements will be in place:
- The library will be open from 8:00am until the start of period one so that students who would like to can use this facility.
- The canteen will be open from 9.00am.
- Supervision in classrooms for students who have studies to complete and wish to work on this in a classroom space. Students will be supervised by relief teachers. This will commence on Thursday 15th February once we have an idea about the number of students who need to be catered for.
- Sports activities will be available later in the year. There may be an opportunity for morning training and we are investigating the provision of fitness training. This is an excellent opportunity for students wishing to keep up their general fitness, and will be a key part of the preparation for the summer sports codes.
- There will be some senior staff rotated for duty supervision during this time as well.